Maybe it’s in my head, but I feel like I stand out in the yoga classes I’ve been too. I’m the one in the back with the tight hamstrings, trying to look as smooth and limber as the instructor and majority of the other participants. I can usually pick out the other runners as well. But as a runner, the benefits of yoga are many! They include:
- Injury Prevention: increased flexibility and core strength
- Improved overall balance, strength and range of motion
- Mental focus and concentration
For more reading on yoga for runners, check out:
- Jill’s post on the Benefits of Yoga
- A great article on the top three poses for runners
- An entire page devoted to yoga for runners at Runner’s World
- Angela’s experience with yoga as injury prevention
- Yoga inspiration and an Instagram challenge at Grow Soul Beautiful
Now that we have established how beneficial yoga is for runners, what do you wear? Running clothes can work at home, but shorts don’t quite cut it in a yoga studio.
I was given the opportunity to try Earth Yoga Clothing, and it is a fantastic resource for affordable, stylish yoga gear. Their clothes are eco-friendly and sustainable, made from organic cotton, bamboo and spandex, including earth friendly ink and dyes. I fell in love with my comfy tee and capris!
After a little yoga practice on the porch with L, I lived in these clothes for the rest of the day! They’re so soft and fit perfectly. I needed this inspiration to do yoga more frequently. My tight hamstrings are begging for it!
- Mandatory: Leave a comment telling me if you practice yoga and/or how often
- Optional extra entry: Follow Earth Yoga on Twitter and leave a comment telling me you did
- Optional extra entry: Tell me if you follow me on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook
- Optional extra entry: Tweet about the giveaway and tell me you did, here’s one option:
Runners need yoga, too! Win organic #yoga clothes from @mommyrunfaster and@EarthYogaCloth! http://wp.me/p2fC61-ZH
You can also find Earth Yoga on Facebook! Good luck!
This giveaway will run through Sunday, October 28th at 8pm EST and a winner will be announced on Monday, October 29, 2012.