Happy New Year’s Eve!
Tomorrow kicks off the 5 by the 5th Virtual Race series! Log your 5k or 5 miler anytime between January 1st and 5th (on the 1st if you’re doubling up with the Resolution run) and then enter your time here. I’ll host a link up next Monday for posts about January’s virtual run, and announce the first winners.
It’s that time of year when most of us are reviewing the past year and setting goals or intentions for the year to come.
I wrote out a list of my intentions for 2013 on Friday. I have most of what I need to go after my running goals, but I am curious to try adding a heart rate monitor to my training this year to measure progress. I was given the opportunity to try one from HHGregg, and I can’t wait to experiment.
I’ve never used a heart rate monitor for my training, but I plan to use this as part of the 5 by the 5th series to track my 5k each month. I’ve enjoyed reading about the many benefits of doing so.
Benefits of training with a heart rate monitor
- Measure your progress: Track your cardiovascular fitness to see improvements over time
- Prevent over-training: Ensure that your easy days are truly easy (and that your hard days are hard!)
- Pace yourself on hot days: Know how hard you’re working in extreme temps, this would have come in handy during the hot, humid days this summer
- More feedback in numbers: Perfect for those of us who love data
If you could use a Heart Rate Monitor, Treadmill, Elliptical or other fitness accessories, HHGregg is running a huge giveaway that starts today and will continue through next Monday, January 7th. Here are some details:
- Over $20,000 in prizes including Heart rate watches, Elliptical machines, Treadmills, and Home Gym packages
- Enter daily starting today through the HHGregg Facebook page or on their website
HHGregg has also given me a $100 gift card to share with one of you!
Check out their site for all sorts of electronics including fitness accessories. They have Polar Heart Rate monitors ranging from $60-$199, as well as treadmills, ellipticals, ipods, headphones, Xercise balls, etc.
To enter, use the Rafflecopter below:
a Rafflecopter giveaway
This giveaway will run through Sunday, January 6th and I will announce the winner on Monday, January 7, 2013. Fitfluential LLC compensated me for this campaign. All opinions are my own.
What are your thoughts or experiences with heart rate monitors?