The past few weeks, we’ve been getting lots of use out of one of our new Christmas toys: a molcajete.
Have you seen these? It’s a traditional Mexican stone mortar and pestle, for making sauces, guacamole, or mashing beans. Once you get past the seasoning process, it’s fantastic (thanks to hubs for handling that).
We quickly threw together some yummy refried beans and guacamole for burritos last night, delish!
Refried White and Red Beans
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 pepper, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small jalepeno, chopped and seeded (optional)
- 1 can cannelini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small can diced tomatoes, or 2 chopped plum tomatoes (optional)
- 1 tsp each: cumin, chili powder, oregano
- dash of salt and crushed red pepper
- fresh cilantro to top
Saute onion and pepper in 1 Tbsp olive oil until softened. Add garlic and beans, and mash with a potato masher until smooth. Add spices and tomatoes and simmer until warm. Serve on rice or tortillas with optional cheese, cilantro or sour cream.
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/4 red onion, finely diced
- 1 plum tomato, finely chopped
- juice of half a lime
- dash of salt, to taste
Mash all together well in a molcajete or medium bowl with fork. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro.
Menu Plan for the Week:
Sunday: Date night out, much needed!
Monday: Lindsay’s Asian Black Bean Burgers
Tuesday: Dinner out for L’s birthday
Wednesday: Crock pot Vegetarian Split Pea soup
Thursday: Fish, roast veggies and quinoa
Saturday: Homemade pizza party for L’s 3rd birthday