In light of my post on Wednesday to remember to feed our mind, soul and spirit as well as our physical body, I’m focusing on gratitude today.
I’ve mentioned before that taking the time to write down 3 things we’re grateful for every day is an excellent exercise for a more positive outlook and boosts our well being and mood.
2013 was a rough year for us, to say the least. So many transitions and quite a bit of disappointing news. So far, 2014 has been full of good things, so I realized I need to take the time to acknowledge that, pause, and be thankful.
I’m thankful for…
* a new town to explore, a house we enjoy, new friends we’re making
* a flexible job at home and a full practice, exceeding my goals for 2013
* the opportunity to spend most of my days with L before she ventures off to kindergarten
* the challenge of parenting a stubborn, sensitive, strong-willed daughter who can use those traits to become a passionate, empathetic, driven woman
* the flutters in my belly, reminding me of answered prayer, new life and hope
* the start of March tomorrow and the hope of spring!
* strong legs that love to run
* a lovely faith community that welcomed us here
* supportive parents and in-laws who modeled the kind of parenting we strive for
* the bubble of passion in my gut that I get to use in my work with my clients
* my husband’s flexible schedule and parental leave that will give him the fall semester off with us!
* shared values… that we strive for simplicity and try not to worry about keeping up with the Joneses… teaching our daughter that we have all we need
Of course, this does not in any way mean we do not have our struggles and challenges. Or that we don’t occasionally want the bigger, shinier toys. But when I choose to focus on the positive, it allows any comparison, inadequacies or worries to shrink and takes away some of their power.
PS- Play along if you want- and if you choose to do a gratitude post, let me know… I’d love to read it!
How about you- what are you thankful for?