One of my new running buddies has been experimenting with the 30-20-10 workout. Did you see the article about it on RW? It’s designed to be easy to remember speed work… a 30 second jog, 20 seconds at training pace, and a 10 second sprint (5 times, then recover and repeat). I read the original article, but after chatting about it with Liz, I resolved to give it a try.
I got myself to the treadmill for this workout last night. Big mistake- I spent most of the intervals increasing/decreasing speeds. Because of that, I only ran through it once (5x 30-20-10) and tacked on a few 400’s… but I do think would be an awesome workout outdoors!
It’s also What I ate Wednesday- snacking edition. After posting on Instagram about my homemade yogurt, I had a few requests for a recipe. It’s more economical than store-bought yogurt, healthier with your own add-ins, and delicious. I don’t remember the original source, but I now have it memorized. Here’s what you do:
Homemade Yogurt in the Crock Pot
- 1/2 gallon (8 cups) whole, 2 % or 1% organic milk
- 1/2 c. organic yogurt with cultures (store-bought or reserved from a previous batch)
- optional fruit or honey/maple syrup to flavor yogurt
Pour milk in a crock pot and turn on low for 2 1/2- 3 hours, or until temps reach 180 degrees. Turn off, and let crock pot sit covered for another 3 hours until it drops back to 110 degrees. Whisk in yogurt, and cover again. Insulate by wrapping in a large towel or blanket and let sit for 8-9 hours, or overnight. Optional: Blend in fruit or sweetener to part or all of the yogurt.
*To ensure thick yogurt, pay attention to temperature (any meat or candy thermometer would work!) I often start the process at 4 or 4:30pm, turn off the crock pot at 7pm, and wrap it all up by 10pm before I got to bed. Then in the morning… presto! Yogurt!
- mid morning: plain yogurt with toasted oats or granola and fruit
- afternoon: blended with frozen blueberries, bananas and spinach for smoothies
- great kids snack: freeze above smoothie as homemade popsicles
- healthy dessert: lightly sweetened yogurt with garbanzo brownies crumbled on top
- before bed: soft toddler cheeks
Would you try the 30-20-10 interval workout?
What are your favorite ways to eat yogurt?