My friend Amanda, at Miss Zippy, asked for a summary of 2012, and provided some questions to get us started. I was planning to recap my year anyway, so this was perfect timing. I used her questions, and added a few of my own. Feel free to join in and link up below!
- Best race experience? As much as I love the half marathon distance, the shorter races were much better for me this year. My favorite was probably this last 5k at the Turkey Trot where I surprised myself with a new 5k pr (20:22). Plus, linking up with other local bloggers is always a plus.
- Worst race experience? Learning the hard way not to race in May in Texas. The Astros 10k was brutal in the heat and humidity, and was the first time I almost quit in the middle of the race. I was so done and wanted to sit on the grass and watch the rest of the runners finish. I need a 10k rematch this spring (before the heat returns).
- Best run? Just a week ago I had one of the most carefree runs in a long time. I ran 12 miles at marathon pace, and my legs wanted to keep going and going and going.
- Best new piece of gear? I discovered Oiselle this year, and can’t remember what I ran in before collecting two of their soft, lightweight tanks. Love them!
- Best piece of running advice you received? Hmm, good question. I’ve learned the benefits of compression this year, both during my shin trouble (Tommie Copper calf sleeves were aweseome!) and for recovery socks post-long run.
- Most inspirational runner?
My local running buddy, May. Her passion and drive is contagious. We are also very similarly paced and she qualified for Boston last year at Houston, which gives me hope. 🙂 And, at the risk of sounding cheesey, I’m honestly inspired by every running blog I read…. so many amazing ladies (and a few men) setting goals, training hard, crushing goals, having setbacks, it’s all part of the journey. There are way too many to name, but you all know who you are.
- If you could sum up your year in a couple of words, what would they be? Surprises. Setbacks. Joy. Progress. Contentment.
- Running ups: A new pr in every race distance- this has a lot to do with the blogging community, and my determination to train smarter.
- Running downs: A shin issue over the summer that knocked me out for a few weeks. It also led to a very cautious, conservative marathon training plan. I’m now beginning to feel confident to make more significant mileage and training increases, but I’m almost at my taper.
- Surprise of the year: Completing my first sprint triathlon! After putting it on my bucket list, I was determined to make it happen. Hmmm, maybe I need to revisit that bucket list and see what I need to work toward in 2013…
If you wrote any kind of recap post for 2012, I’d love to read about it! Link up below, and then read and support a few other runners as well.
How was 2012 for you?