Happy Valentine’s day!
Did you see the challenge at #Runchat to talk about why you love running? Fits pretty well with the Valentine’s theme, I think. There’s still time to tweet, blog or pin what you love about running, if you’d like to join.
Here are ten (of my many) reasons:
- The power to turn a grumpy perspective into an upbeat one.
- The satisfaction from a hard run.
- The excitement of race goals- (Running Dreams matter!)
- The confidence from chasing and (sometimes) meeting those goals.
- The life lessons learned from not meeting those goals.
- The positive outlet for my competitive nature.
- The meditative rhythm of my breathing and my steps.
- The chance to zone out and think or pray.
- The endorphin rush from pushing my body in challenging ways.
- The community of runners, bloggers, tweeps and running groups.
I put out a call on the Mommy Run Fast Facebook page and got some great responses…
I also loved these two from my friends Jessica and Michelle:
I love running because it gives me something that nothing else ever has. I don’t know if it’s the endorphins, or the fact that it’s a metaphor for life. The way it’s distracted me from my trials, and given me the opportunity to help others through their own. The medals at the end of training for a race, and the extra meals I get to eat during training. It gives me clarity and something to look forward to. It’s “my thing”. When I do the same loads of laundry and clean up the same messes every day I can go hammer out a great run and still feel accomplished! I love that people know me as a runner. And I LOVE the running community.
It gives me an identity other than “mommy,” and it’s also my escape and my alone time. Couldn’t live without it.
Your turn! Why do you love running?